Owners of 300 West Adams Street Office Building Honored with 2011 Preservation Excellence Awards - Exterior Restoration
Recipient: Sterling Bay Companies and Annenberg Investments
As a 1920s-era office building in the West Loop, the 300 West Adams building exemplifies the outward expansion of Chicago's central business district from its historic core into former warehouse districts along the Chicago River. The twelve-story terra-cotta building was built in 1927 and designed by prominent architect Jens J. Jensen. It is an excellent example of the Gothic Revival architectural style and a fine example of the important use of architectural terra cotta for large-scale commercial buildings in Chicago. Over the last two years, the owner of the building repaired the exterior envelope to restore the building to its original appearance. The exterior work included masonry repair, reconstructing the masonry parapets, installing new windows, restoring the decorative groundfloor storefront surrounds, and installing a vegetative 'green' roof. Interior work included updating the main lobby and installing sprinklers throughout the building. The $6 million restoration project utilized the Cook County Class L Property Tax Incentive program for historic preservation. The 300 West Adams Office Building was designated a Chicago Landmark on May 13, 2009.